Don’t look now, but it’s 2011 and that means it’s a new year to prepare for Pints For Prostates! This year is expected to be a major step-up in this incredible awareness campaign effort that originated with prostate cancer survivor and beer writer Rick Lyke back in 2008. The Pints For Prostates effort raises awareness among men of the importance of regular health screenings (including digital prostate exams) and PSA testing. This is achieved by their making special appearances at beer festivals, social networking, and pro bono advertising – and pretty much anything else that they can think of!
They’ve taken the “universal language of beer” well beyond deep, resonating, belches and clanking of mugs in toast before a big swallow to a issue of critical importance – prostate cancer awareness! In keeping with that wonderful theme, Pints for Prostates has rolled out their early schedule of attendance at events throughout 2011 in order to continue encouraging men to educate themselves about prostate cancer and to make their own health a higher priority.
During the last two years, Pints for Prostates has been a part of roughly 100 events. These events are most often organized by volunteers and on a local scale at restaurants or brewpubs.
2011 Preliminary Schedule of Events (more added throughout the year)
- March 11: Pints for Prostates Presented by the Downtown Macon Rotary, Armory Ball Room, 484 1st St., Macon, Ga., 7-10 p.m. Tickets are $25 and include beer samples, music from the Grapevine band, and the opportunity for men to receive a free PSA (prostate specific antigen) blood test to screen for prostate cancer.
- March 12: Pedal for a Pint, Tattnall Square Park, Macon, Ga. Presented by the Downtown Macon Rotary and Bike Tech, tickets are $25 and include the leisurely bike around the park, a t-shirt, a post ride pint and a free PSA blood test.
- March 12: Grapevine’s Third Annual Beertopia to Benefit Pints for Prostates, Baxter Village, Fort Mill, S.C., 2-6 p.m. Tickets are $25 and include samples of more than 100 beers from 40 breweries and music.
- March 15: The Jay Butler Beaudacious Beer Gustation to benefit Pints for Prostates, Flying Saucer Draught Emporium, 328 W. Morgan St., Raleigh, N.C., 6-9 p.m. Tickets are $25 and include beer samples, food and entertainment.
- April 9: World Beer Festival, Raleigh, N.C. Two sessions, Noon to 4 p.m. and 6-10 p.m.
- June 11: World Beer Festival, Richmond, Va. Two sessions, Noon to 4 p.m. and 6-10 p.m.
- June 16: Pints for Prostates at Pike Brewing, Seattle, Wash., 6-9 p.m. Event includes silent auction and raffle.
- July 28-31: Oregon Brewers Festival, Tom McCall Waterfront Park, Portland, Ore. Noon to 9 p.m. first three days and Noon to 7 p.m. on Sunday.
- September 9-19: Pints for Prostates European Beer Tour. Nine nights in Prague, Bamberg and Munich, including Oktoberfest. Details at www.beertrips.com.
- September 30: Denver Rare Beer Tasting III, Denver, Colo., 1-4 p.m. Tickets will go on sale during June.
- October 8: World Beer Festival, Durham, N.C. Two sessions, Noon to 4 p.m. and 6-10 p.m.
Those with a desire to organize an event to help continue to raise awareness about prostate cancer or for more information about Rick Lyke’s organization simply need to visit: Pints for Prostates
Tell them BlueForLove.com sent you!